Friday, July 22, 2011

"People come and go so quickly here!"

This is the first chance I have had to sit down and blog since early June.  Well...the first chance I have had to sit down and blog...while inspiration is flowing.  I have so many things to say...so many thoughts to put down.  Let me start and then we'll make sense of it as we go. 

Auditions have come and gone (not without tears and heartache from me and the Favorite), we have an amazing cast and have wrapped up the first week of rehearsals.  Words truly fail me when I try and describe the level of happiness, excitement, elation and honor I experienced at our initial read through.  So many talented and wonderful actors and actresses...and so many adorable and amazing Munchkins!!  I could go on and on and on...and probably will do just that at some point....but I want to give a quick run down of Oz by the numbers:

Directors: 2
Music Director: 1
Stage Manager: 1
Assistant Stage Managers: 2
Choreographer: 1
Nights of auditions: 2 plus 1 night of callbacks
Auditionees:  106 approx.
Cast Members: 50
Seizures of joy: 4
Times I shed tears of joy this week: 6 approx.

The weeks leading up to the auditions and the first rehearsal were spent hashing out design concepts and logistics.  One night, in the middle of a discussion about scenery, JDB3 asked me such a remarkable and confoundingly SIMPLE question that it rendered me totally speechless for approximately two minutes. 

"What is our overall concept?  I mean, is it a dream or did Dorothy really GO to Oz??" 
Me: Blank stare....blink blink...........I....well....hmmmm.....

I had never given it much thought because it is CLEARLY Dorothy's dream in the film....although Dorothy actually travels to Oz in the original story....so we decided to stick with the original concept of the film.  However, after giving it much thought and conversation, we have decided to be true to the TIME PERIOD of the book...which is 1900.  (I was an adult before I realized the film was NOT set in 1939.)

I LOVE the film.  I love the design....sets and costumes.  BUT...the film has a pointedly Art Deco design scheme...especially in the Emerald City.  If Dorothy is knocked unconscious and her dreams have accessed her memories, she wouldn't know anything about Art Deco....she could only access present day turn of the century Victorian and earlier.  Once this was decided, a whole new world began to take shape and our spirits were renewed!!  Costumes, scenery, colors....ideas...inspirations....everything started to fall into place.

The most important thing I want to accomplish with our production is this:  I want every member of our audience to experience the same wonder and excitement and magic I felt so many years ago while watching the annual television airing.  I want children...adults...families....partners....friends to come to our production and walk away with a rekindled love and respect for L. Frank Baum and his fantastical world of Oz.

I have, after a long break, begun again on my journey down the yellow brick road.  Come with me.... 

2 comments:

Tracy said...

You know in all my years as a child watching the movie I don't think I ever really gave the idea of Dorothy not actually going to Oz any consideration. In fact, I didn't give it any consideration until I just read this blog. It always seemed so real to me as a kid and the "real life" part of the story for me was an afterthought.

The Lion said...

For the first time, in a very long time, I have this incredible feeling about this show. I am so honored to be a part of this production and cannot wait to share it with the world!