Wednesday, May 4, 2011

"We've come such a long way already..."

70 days. That's how long we have until auditions for Oz. 

70 days to have a clear vision for what "Oz" will look and sound like.  You may think 70 days is quite enough time to bring ideas together and have everything ready. You'd be wrong. Well, not normally...but in this case, you'd be wrong.

I know this particular version of "The Wizard of Oz", if not handled correctly, can eat you alive and spit out your remains before you even have a chance to meet the Wizard.  I...ME, David Townsend...the one who has been dreaming about this show ever since he was old enough to steal his sister's blue gingham dance recital dress (The one she wore for the ballet rendition of "Many A New Day" from Oklahoma!) and sneak it into his room to practice "Over The Rainbow"...I know that we HAVE to enter into auditions for this show with clear and concise plans and designs and waste no time once we start rehearsals with trying to figure things out.

The Favorite is, I believe, already tiring of my incessant ramblings about how many backdrops we will need and how we can best utilize the wing space and where the hell are all the Munchkins going to go?!? God bless him, he just listens to me and smiles. A typical Oz-themed conversation usually goes something like this:

JDB3: Hey, did we remember to take the trash and recycling down to the curb last night?
Me:  Yep. Hey, how many Munchkins do you want for the show?
JDB3: Um...I don't know yet.
Me: Well, I was thinking that we can't really have too very many because I don't really know what we're going to do with them during the rest of the show because I have seen productions of Oz where there are, like, SEVENTY freakin' Munchkins running around the stage and I don't really know if it's wise for us to cast that many because we are VERY limited with backstage space and I know that we can corral them all into one of the downstairs rehearsal rooms but you know that the two main rooms are right up next to the orchestra pit and I know Cathy Banner will be very sweet and understanding about it but I just don't want the kids running wild down there because the microphones in the orchestra will pick up their noise but if we have parents sign up for backstage duty they can keep them quiet with games and stuff. 
JDB3: ...............Well I was thinking tha-
Me:  Wait. We can't put them in that one rehearsal hall because if we use the trap door over THAT room for the trap door in the Witch's Castle, then all those damn Munchkins will be running around and getting in the way oooooh we can use that new rehearsal hall underneath the black box stage.
JDB3:  Well, I'm not sure if we'll need to worry about all that yet, honey.
Me:  I know but we have to plan for this kind of thing NOW.
JDB3: Honey. It's January. We need to get the rights for the show first and then we can figure all this stuff out. 
Me:  Well, if you want to wait THAT long to plan this stuff out...(grumble grumble pout pout pout)

Welcome to my brain, my dear friends. 

And welcome to JDB3's world for the next several weeks...

1 comment:

Tara said...

I can't believe no one has left a comment for you yet. ;-) I will be folowing your ramblings - I love reading blogs. I love Wizard of Oz and I will HAVE to direct it one day too. When we were little my sisters, cousins and I played Wizard of Oz. Of course I was always Dorothy (that's what I got for being the oldest. ;-) Emily was Auntie Em (of course) and Bethany had to be a munchkin. I tried to star and direct in our productions and I always got mad when they wouldn't all do exactly as I said. As I have gotten older I have learned to use a bit more tact. ;-)